THE COMMUNICATIONS CHALLENGE
The Washington Health Benefit Exchange (WAHBE) operates Washington Healthplanfinder (WHP) – the state’s marketplace for individuals to compare and enroll in health plans online, through a mobile app, over the phone, or in person with trained representatives across Washington state.
Central to WHP’s success is a yearly marketing effort to drive customers to the marketplace during the open enrollment period (OEP): the only time of year when customers can enroll in a plan barring a significant life event. Despite already strong awareness of WHP and the success of past OEPs, significant external pressures would make it difficult to convince customers to purchase a WHP plan in 2019.
THE QUINN THOMAS APPROACH
- Utilizing audience research and testing, developed an overarching campaign creative framework–Plan for How You Live!–that would guide the look, feel, and messaging in all marketing communications material.
- Leveraging a $750K spend, deployed a suite of highly targeted digital (e.g., network, social, native, and dynamic display) and broad reaching traditional ads (e.g., billboard, TV, radio, transit) to current and potential customers statewide.
- Curated unique stories and spokespeople to share information about important OEP milestones and WHP’s online/in-person resources with reporters across the state.
- Collaborated with Washington state-based influencers to develop OEP content to amplify on their social platforms.
- Utilized research to identify and sponsor events in counties with historically lower enrollment rates.
- Surpassed goal of 210K sign-ups with 212k enrollments at the conclusion of the OEP.
- $5.00 cost per homepage view (CpV) benchmark was met across all digital channels.
- ~5,500 radio and TV spots in 4 markets.
- 2,056 out-of-home placements (e.g., billboard, interior transit, and gas pump ads) in 22 counties.
- 10 unique earned media hits.
- Influencer content generated reach of over 600k followers and 3,925 social media engagements.
- Sponsored 62 event activations with a total attendance of 14k individuals.