Port of Vancouver | Proposal for Marketing Services
Required Section 4: Creative Materials Samples
a. Provide samples of creative design materials and advertising that generate measurable results. Provide the context and explanation for the example and why it was successful.
To advance the construction industry’s efforts to recruit and retain talent while overcoming marketplace challenges, the AGC enlisted Quinn Thomas to bring forward a comprehensive communications program to advance their workforce development initiative titled Build Oregon. To inform the campaign, we worked with AGC’s member organizations and industry partners to establish a deep understanding of its audiences, communications channels and existing programs. We conducted a member survey, 1:1 stakeholder interviews, focus groups of young skilled workers, a message mapping session and a review of past programs that informed a research report and communications campaign. We developed a new brand that resonates with the next generation, thoughtfully applied it across Build Oregon’s owned properties and launched a highly targeted and broad reaching marketing communications program to encourage prospective workers to consider construction careers. A lot of time, dedication and passion from AGC members, staff and partners culminated in a highly successful first year for the new Build Oregon workforce development program. We exceeded all client goals:
- Awareness – 6 million campaign impressions (150% above goal)
- Exploration – 86,000 website visits (286% above goal) and 36,000 unique users
- Consideration – 2,000 referrals to local training programs (133% above goal)
b. Provide samples of work to demonstrate the firm’s experience with direct mail marketing and promotional mailing campaigns. Provide the context and explanation for the example and why it was successful.
Quinn Thomas has led a series of direct mail campaigns for clients seeking targeted outreach by zip code, mile, or demographic criteria. Two examples include:
- Walmart: We developed two direct mail campaigns for Walmart to gain support for real estate projects. In both cases, we faced organized opposition to the projects and needed a highly targeted communications channel that allowed us to communicate directly with nearby residents. The direct mail helped us land messaging, recruit advocates and win project permits.
- Ulven: We developed and executed a direct mail campaign to communicate to residents and businesses within a 25-mile radius of Ulven facilities about Ulven’s commitment to carbon reduction and cleaner air regulations. The company, which was updating facilities to come into compliance with new environmental mandates, wanted its neighbors to know of its commitment. The campaign was well-received by the community and no negative action was taken against the company.
c. Provide samples of work to demonstrate the firm’s experience with clients like ports, transportation and logistics companies. Provide the context and explanation for the example and why it was successful.
QT led a research and marketing campaign for the Port of Seattle to help them connect with new audiences about the important role the Port plays in the local economy and community. QT led a series of focus groups to uncover current perception of the Port and identify opportunities to communicate the value of the organization. The campaign included developing a new messaging strategy and platform, which then came to life through a series of videos of people whose careers or businesses rely on Port activity. We deployed these videos through paid media (pre-roll video, digital display ads, and native stories on local media sites), owned social and digital channels, third-party allies, and events. All campaign media was highly targeted based on audiences we were trying to influence. One video promoted the Port’s internship program, and it resulted in the largest number of new internship applications the Port had ever received.
A local dairy farmer and family-owned bakery that rely on cruise ship business for sales.
d. Provide samples of work to demonstrate the firm’s expertise in business-to-business and business-to-consumer campaigns. Provide the context and explanation for the example and why it was successful. Provide the context and explanation for the example and why it was successful.
Quinn Thomas has deep experience in leading business-to-business and business-to-consumer campaigns. Two recent examples are:
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt (B2B): QT has served as communications agency of record for Schwabe, one of the largest Pacific Northwest regional law firms, for more than seven years. A key part of our work with the firm is amplifying the expertise of the firm’s Transportation, Ports and Maritime (TPM) group with a highly targeted thought leadership campaign reaching industry executives and legal counsel. Our collaboration with Schwabe has resulted in consistent local and national media placements including the American Journal of Transportation, Maritime Executive, Pacific Maritime Magazine, Workboat, Portland Business Journal and DJC Oregon.
- Lane Electric (B2C): Lane Electric, a local electrical co-op serving more than 10,000 members in rural Lane County, enlisted QT to develop a marketing campaign to educate about the importance of being ready for wildfire season. We developed a kit of helpful resources for members and brought awareness to the importance of being wildfire ready with a broad reaching campaign leveraging the co-ops existing marketing channels (direct mail, email, magazine, organic social, and website) and through a targeted paid media campaign (paid social, programmatic, and streaming TV). The co-ops efforts to help members prepare for wildfire season was well-received and the wildfire readiness kit website was viewed more than 10,000 times.
e. Provide samples of work to demonstrate the firm’s expertise in photography and video production (include links). Provide the context and explanation for the example and why it was successful.
Quinn Thomas has deep experience in leading and producing custom photography and videography for numerous marketing campaigns. Two recent examples are:
- Frontier Management: Frontier properties all over the nation were experiencing a workforce shortage. Looking to attract younger people into a career as a caregiver for seniors, we knew creating authentic visuals was a requirement to reach our target audience. Based on research and interviews, we found that caregivers really love their jobs and didn’t consider it work, rather a joyful experience. QT developed a series of original content with caregivers to drive an emotional connection to the work. The content showcased the fun and friendships a career as a caregiver can give you and resonated with our audience, driving successful campaign results.
- HCA Behavioral Health: Washington state has a great need for behavioral healthcare workers, primarily counselors in the substance abuse disorder services and mental health fields. Up against box stores like Target, who offered the same wage for less responsibility, we knew we had to focus on the meaningful work a career as a counselor can bring to someone’s life. We interviewed and filmed real professionals and showcased their stories about their careers in behavioral health. These stories brought to life a unified narrative about the positive impact one can have working in behavioral health. Within the first week of the campaign launch, the custom videos on average had over 15,000 impressions, with an overall combined CTR of .33%.
f. Provide samples of work to demonstrate the firm’s experience with environmental issues, economic development, and community outreach. Provide the context and explanation for the example and why it was successful.
The Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Indians enlisted Quinn Thomas to increase support for a real estate project they are planning to launch in North Salem. To inform the campaign we enlisted our research firm, DHM Research, to conduct polling around public sentiment for the project. The research showed that most of the community supported the project but had specific values, concerns and interests depending on demographics. Grounded in the research, we developed Spanish and English messaging and a comprehensive communications campaign to inform key stakeholder and the public about the many benefits the project will bring to the community. Deliverables included a refreshed project brand, bilingual website, social media program, ad campaign and project collateral. In the last 18 months more than 50,000 people have visited The Siletz Casino Project website and 3,000 community members have signed a petition in support of the project.
g. Provide samples of recent public relations writing for clients. Provide the context and explanation for the example and why it was successful.
Recent media coverage showcasing journalist writing and media placements:
- QT developed the press release and pitch for this story
- Click to see corresponding press release and pitch
Portland Business Journal: Building Oregon’s past, present, and future
- Click to see corresponding media pitch
Portland Business Journal: Insights and perspectives into the maritime industry and its impact on the economy (podcast)
- Quinn Thomas worked closely with the client to prepare a message framework and shape the opportunity
The following are hyper-local media placements QT developed, pitched and placed for Walmart in Clark County:
- Columbian: Walmart Wellness Day slated for Saturday
- Clark County Today: Battle Ground area youth Shop with a Cop
- Clark County Today: 11th annual Shop with a Cop event held at Woodland WalMart
- Ridgefield Reflector: Battle Ground’s Shop with a Cop program helps 19 kids
- KPDX: Shop with a Cop at Woodland Walmart